- To feed your child, an intravenous catheter is placed in a deep vein.
- The steps in the method below may serve as a guide; speak to your healthcare team about the specific equipment that your child uses.
- Monitoring of the catheter site and dressing should be done:
- before, during (at least twice) and after each administration of parenteral nutrition solution,
- at least once a day if the catheter is not used.
- The length of the external part of the catheter must also be checked at least once a day.
- Your healthcare team will advise you of the procedures for changing the dressing at the catheter entry site.
Refer to your healthcare team if the material used or the sequence of steps taught is different from what is described in the care method.