- To feed your child, an intravenous catheter is placed in a deep vein.
- The steps in the method below may serve as a guide; speak to your healthcare team about the specific equipment that your child uses.
- Monitoring of the catheter site and dressing should be done:
- before, during (at least twice) and after each administration of parenteral nutrition solution,
- at least once a day if the catheter is not used.
- The length of the external part of the catheter must also be checked at least once a day.
- Your healthcare team will advise you of the procedures for changing the dressing at the catheter entry site.
- Adhesive tape for dressing
- Transparent adhesive dressing (eg, Tegaderm®)
Refer to your healthcare team if the material used or the sequence of steps taught is different from what is described in the care method.