- The cycler must be prepared, the cycler set with cassette installed, and the bags connected to the appropriate lines before connecting the child to the cycler for the automated peritoneal dialysis treatment.
- We suggest a procedure that you can use as a guide; discuss with your healthcare team the specific equipment used for your child.
- This care must be given with strict adherence to the aseptic measures taught by your care team, including basic procedures to be performed before starting.
- Dialysate bags should be prepared no more than 4 hours before each dialysis treatment.
- Validate with your healthcare team the order in which you should use and connect the different types or concentrations of dialysate during treatments.
- If you are using an adult cycler with cassette, make sure that the cycler is set to standard mode and not pediatric mode.
Before each automated peritoneal dialysis session, according to the treatment frequency agreed upon with your heathcare team.
- Table, nightstand or cart: to deposit the cycler
- Small table, desk top or sideboard with a washable surface: to place the materials
- Hand soap
- Clean paper or towel
- Alcohol or disinfectant wipe (eg, Sani-Cloth® Plus): for surfaces
- 4% chlorhexidine soap solution: for hands
- Alcohol-based antiseptic hand gel (eg, Stérigel®)
- Dialysate bags
- Cycler set with cassette (pediatric or adult, as indicated by your healthcare team)
- 15 liter drainage bag
- 2″ x 2″ sterile compresses
- Dialysis clamps
- 5-prong manifold set: if more than one dialysate bag is needed
- 3 liter empty bag for heater
- Specimen bag
- Connection shield with povidone-iodine (if adult cycler set used)
- Material for adding medication to the dialysate
Refer to your healthcare team if the materials used or the sequence of steps taught is different from what is described in the method of care.
Depending on your child’s age and condition, always encourage your child’s autonomy in carrying out the method of care.
The steps described in the method of care refer to the use of the Homechoice Pro™ cycler and compatible equipment.