- The steps in the method below may serve as a guide; speak to your healthcare team about the specific equipment that your child uses.
- Empty the bag when you find that it is 1/3 full of air/stool by gently feeling to see the amount it contains.
- Depending on the age of your child, and the type of stoma, the bag should be emptied between 1-6 times per day. A bag that is overfilled can detach from the skin and cause leaks.
- If the bag is filled with air, let the air out through the opening of the bag. If your child has a two piece device and there is very little stool in the bag let the air out by partially detaching the bag from the flange.
- Container in which to collect the stool (if the toilet is not going to be used directly)
- Toilet paper
- Washcloths and towels
Refer to your child’s healthcare team if the material or the sequence of steps you have been taught is different than those described.